eCommerce website development: Power up your online sales
What is eCommerce website development
Ecommerce website development involves designing and creating online stores that allow businesses to sell their products or services over the internet. Our eCommerce development process involves various tasks such as designing a user-friendly interface, integrating payment gateways, ensuring site security, and optimising the site for search engines.
Our eCommerce websites provide businesses with a platform to reach a larger audience, increasing sales and revenue, and also enable businesses to collect valuable customer data, which can be used to personalise marketing efforts and improve customer experiences.
Maximise Your Revenue with a Tailored eCommerce Website Development Solution
With our eCommerce website development service, businesses can establish a secure and user-friendly platform to sell products and services, enhancing their online presence and driving conversions. Let us help you create a tailored solution that maximises your revenue and provides a seamless online shopping experience.
How we build a eCommerce website
WordPress and Joomla are two popular content management systems that can be used to build eCommerce websites.
WordPress is a popular and versatile content management system that can be used to build a wide range of websites, including eCommerce stores. Here are some benefits of using WordPress as your eCommerce platform:
- Easy to use: WordPress is known for its user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for even non-technical users to create and manage a website. With a wide range of eCommerce plugins available for WordPress, you can easily add eCommerce functionality to your website and start selling products online.
- Flexibility: WordPress is a highly customizable platform that offers a wide range of design options and third-party integrations. This means that you can tailor your eCommerce store to meet your specific needs, and add features such as payment gateways, shipping calculators, and inventory management systems.
- SEO-friendly: WordPress is designed with search engine optimization (SEO) in mind, which means that it is easy to optimise your website for search engines and improve your visibility online. With the right plugins and strategies, you can improve your website’s rankings in search engine results pages (SERPs) and attract more customers to your store.
WordPress is a powerful and flexible platform that can be used to create an eCommerce store that is easy to use, customizable, and SEO-friendly. With a wide range of eCommerce plugins available for WordPress, you can easily add eCommerce functionality to your website and start selling products online. Whether you are a small business owner or a large enterprise, Butterfly with WordPress can help you to create an eCommerce store that meets your needs and helps you to grow your business.
Joomla is another popular content management system that can be used to build eCommerce websites. Here are some benefits of using Joomla as your eCommerce platform:
- Robust and secure: Joomla is a highly secure platform that is designed to protect your website from potential cyber attacks. It also offers a wide range of features that can help you to manage your eCommerce store more effectively, such as inventory management, order tracking, and payment processing.
- Flexible and customizable: Joomla is a flexible platform that can be customised to meet your specific eCommerce needs. With a wide range of eCommerce extensions available, you can easily add features such as product catalogues, shopping carts, and payment gateways to your website.
- Multilingual support: Joomla is designed with multilingual support in mind, which means that you can create an eCommerce store that caters to customers from different regions and countries. With a wide range of language packs available, you can easily translate your website into different languages and reach a wider audience.
Joomla is a robust and secure platform that can be used to build eCommerce websites that are flexible, customisable, and multilingual. With a wide range of eCommerce extensions available, you can easily add features such as product catalogues, shopping carts, and payment gateways to your website. Whether you are a small business owner or a large enterprise, Butterfly with Joomla can help you to create an eCommerce store that meets your needs and helps you to grow your business.
What to consider when building an eCommerce website
Building an eCommerce website requires careful planning and consideration. Here are some important factors we will consider when building your eCommerce website:
- User experience: The user experience is critical when it comes to eCommerce websites. It is important to ensure that your website is easy to navigate, products are easy to find, and the checkout process is seamless. You should also consider incorporating features such as product reviews, ratings, and recommendations to help users make informed purchasing decisions.
- Security: Security is of utmost importance when building an eCommerce website. You need to ensure that your website is PCI compliant and that it meets industry-standard security protocols to protect your customers’ sensitive data. This includes using SSL certificates, two-factor authentication, and secure payment gateways.
- Mobile optimisation: With more and more consumers shopping on their mobile devices, it is essential that your eCommerce website is mobile-friendly. Your website should be optimised for mobile devices, with responsive design and fast load times.
- Marketing and SEO: To drive traffic and sales to your eCommerce website, you need to incorporate effective marketing strategies and optimise your website for search engines. This includes using relevant keywords, creating high-quality content, and building quality backlinks.
- Payment and shipping options: Providing a range of payment and shipping options can help to improve the user experience and increase sales. You should offer a variety of payment options, including credit/debit cards, PayPal, and other digital payment options. You should also provide multiple shipping options, including expedited shipping and free shipping for large orders.
Building an eCommerce website requires careful planning and consideration. By focusing on factors such as user experience, security, mobile optimisation, marketing, and payment and shipping options, we can help you create an eCommerce website that is successful and profitable.
Risks to consider when building an eCommerce website
While building an eCommerce website can be lucrative, there are also risks to consider. Here are some of the risks associated with building an eCommerce website:
- Security risks: Ecommerce websites are prime targets for cyber attacks due to the sensitive information they handle, such as credit card details and personal information. A security breach could lead to reputational damage, loss of revenue, and legal liabilities. It is essential to take measures to secure your eCommerce website, such as implementing SSL certificates, using strong passwords, and regularly updating your software.
- Technical issues: Technical problems can arise at any time and could lead to website downtime, causing frustration for customers and lost revenue. It is important to regularly test and monitor your website’s performance, including website speed and functionality, to ensure that it is running smoothly.
- Legal compliance: Ecommerce websites need to comply with a range of legal requirements, including data protection regulations, consumer protection laws, and tax laws. Failing to comply with these regulations could result in hefty fines, legal action, and repetitional damage.
- Competition: The eCommerce market is highly competitive, and building a successful eCommerce website can be challenging. It is important to research your competitors and identify unique selling points to make your eCommerce website stand out.
- Payment fraud: Payment fraud is a common risk associated with eCommerce websites. Fraudulent activities such as chargebacks, stolen credit card information, and fake identities can cause financial damage to your business. It is important to implement fraud detection measures, such as address verification systems and card verification codes, to prevent payment fraud.
Building an eCommerce website can be a lucrative venture, but it is important to consider the risks involved. We work with you to address security risks, technical issues, legal compliance, competition, and payment fraud, so we can minimise the risks and create a successful eCommerce website.
Building your eCommerce website with Butterfly
Building an eCommerce website can be a great way to expand your business and reach new customers. However, it is important to carefully consider the various aspects involved, such as platform selection, design, content, marketing, and the risks associated with eCommerce websites. We work with you to have a clear understanding of your target audience, business goals, and market competition, from here we can create a successful eCommerce website that meets your needs and exceeds your expectations.
To build an effective eCommerce website, it is important we prioritise customer experience, security, and legal compliance. This means creating a user-friendly interface, implementing security measures to protect sensitive customer data, and ensuring that your website complies with relevant laws and regulations. It is also important to stay up to date with industry trends and best practices, such as mobile responsiveness, social media integration, and personalised marketing.
Building an eCommerce website requires careful planning, attention to detail, and ongoing maintenance. By investing in the right tools, resources, and strategies, you can create a successful online store that drives sales, builds customer loyalty, and helps you achieve your business objectives.
Why Choose Butterfly
Butterfly has over 15 years experience building eCommerce websites. Talk to one of our digital specialists to find out how we can help you with your eCommerce website.
Frequently asked questions on building an eCommerce website
An ecommerce website is an online platform that enables businesses to sell their products or services to customers over the internet.
An ecommerce website provides a platform for businesses to reach a wider audience, increase sales, and reduce costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar stores. It also allows businesses to collect data on customer behaviour, which can be used to improve marketing efforts and customer experiences.
Before building an ecommerce website, you should consider your target audience, product range, payment options, security measures, shipping and delivery options, and marketing strategies.
The process for building an ecommerce website involves various tasks, such as designing the website, selecting an ecommerce platform, integrating payment gateways, setting up product pages, ensuring site security, and optimising for search engines.
The time required to build an ecommerce website depends on the complexity of the project and the specific requirements of the business. A basic ecommerce website can be built in a few months, while a more complex project may take six months or more to complete.
The cost of building an ecommerce website varies depending on the complexity of the project, the features required, and the level of customization. A basic ecommerce website can cost as little as a few thousand dollars, while a more complex project can cost tens of thousands of dollars.
While technical skills are not required to build an ecommerce website, it is recommended to work with a professional web development agency like Butterfly to ensure the website is secure, functional, and optimised for search engines.